While a proper and healthy diet is important throughout pregnancy, you should not abstain from enjoying some delicious dishes. Consider your desire for marmalade with your favorite side dish or dessert, but you’re not sure if you can consume it while pregnant.
This article has all of the information you need to know about whether or not you may eat marmalade while pregnant, as well as the health benefits of doing so, and some foods to avoid during this time.
Yes, You can eat marmalade when pregnant. It is safe to eat in moderate quantities as it contains carbohydrates, protein, and vitamins. Although jam contains healthy nutrients, it is high in sugar. Sugary foods are not essential for your health and that of your unborn baby, so be sure to eat sugarless marmalade in moderation.
What Is Marmalade?
Marmalade is an orange fruit preserve that has become a popular spread for bread and other staple foods. It consists of fruit peel, water, and sugar. It can also be made from lemons, limes, grapefruits, mandarins, and other citrus fruits. It also has a slightly sour and bitter taste.
Marmalade contains vitamin C, which helps in healing wounds, increasing the body’s immunity against diseases, and repairing body tissues.
It is also full of antioxidants and provides a healthy source of dietary fiber, is a source of vitamin A, and is extremely rich in vitamin C. It also contains calcium that helps to protect bones and teeth. It is fat-free and may help reduce cholesterol and relieve constipation by aiding the digestive process.
Is It Safe to Eat Marmalade When Pregnant?
Despite its nutritional benefits, marmalade is high in sugar, which raises the risk of diabetes and obesity, as well as poses major health threats to both you and your unborn child. To stay healthy, you should limit your sugar intake, especially during pregnancy.
If you’re craving something sweet while pregnant, consider honey instead of sugar and other sweet fruits that are safe to consume during this time.
Also, consider creating certain recipes at home because you have more control over the ingredients and can make them healthier.
A recipe for marmalade fruit cake
It is advised that if you choose to make a marmalade cake, reduce the sugar content, just so it is healthy for your consumption. Check out this quick recipe for making marmalade fruit cake.
Marmalade Fruit Cake Ingredients
- Unsalted butter
- Lime zest
- Orange zest
- Fresh orange juice
- Self-rising flour.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Marmalade Fruit Cake
- Using your mixer, cream the butter, sugar, lime zest, and orange zest together until they are very fluffy.
- Once the butter is fluffy, add your eggs one at a time and mix well till smooth.
- Add about two to three tablespoons of marmalade and some fresh orange juice and stir lightly. At this point, some lumps might appear in the batter, but it is perfectly okay.
- Add flour to the batter and mix till it is fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into a pan and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°C for about 45 minutes.
- Once it is out, allow it to rest for some time.
- To make your marmalade cake glaze or icing, simply put about 5 spoons of marmalade in a pan.
- Allow boiling for a few minutes before adding icing sugar and a little butter to make it runny.
- Pour on the cake and spread it all over while it’s still warm.
- Once it is cool, you can enjoy your cake.
Foods To Avoid When Pregnant
To protect yourself and your unborn child during this period, you cannot satisfy every of your craving. Check out some foods you should avoid when pregnant.
- Unpasteurized milk and cream.
- Undercooked meats and food generally.
- Some types of fish, including; marlin; shark, and raw shellfish.
- Unwashed fruits and vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Safe To Eat Marmalade When Pregnant?
Yes. It is safe to eat marmalade a few times when pregnant. Because of the sugar content, it is not safe to eat it regularly, but satisfying your marmalade once in a while will do you no harm. You should consult your gynecologist for some advice about your sugar intake.
Is Marmalade The Same As Jam?
No. Marmalade is not the same as jam. While the marmalade is a jelly with particles of fruit in it, jams have a thick consistency with crushed fruits and have a higher pectin content. A major difference is that jams can be made from any kind of fruit, but marmalades are mostly made from citrus fruits.
How Many Nutrients Does Marmalade Contain?
Marmalades contain many nutrients, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, calcium, iron, and potassium, and these nutrients are very good for the body. However, because of the sugar content of marmalade, it is not advised to consume a lot of it during pregnancy.
What Is Marmalade Made Of?
Marmalade is made of citrus fruits, water, and sugar, usually processed by boiling them together.
When you’re pregnant, you can eat marmalade in moderation. It’s perfectly safe to indulge in small amounts of sweets on occasion. It is recommended that you consume the sugarless marmalade less often.
However, you should eat more fruits, veggies, and healthy protein during this period.
- Can You Eat Sweet Potato Skin?
- Can You Eat Onions Raw? (What You Should Know)
- How to Safely Transport Soup (14 Ideas)
- Can You Eat Raw Shrimps And Prawns?
- Can You Eat Frozen Cooked Chicken Without Reheating?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?