Dumplings are better preserved when frozen, however, there are a lot of uncertainties surrounding how long they are supposed to be steamed. Frozen dumplings are one of the quick and easy meals to have in your home.
They are simple go-to meal food after a busy day, dumplings are everyone’s favorite dish, and who would say no to a delicious meal that comes in a variety of flavors? Absolutely no one.
Frozen dumplings are easy to reheat or steam and you can hardly go wrong in this process. However, oversteaming frozen dumplings would overcook them and this can cause them to be less enjoyable. This is why it is important to know the right amount of time to steam frozen dumplings to avoid overcooking them.
How Long Can You Steam Frozen Dumplings?
One of the best ways to cook or reheat frozen dumplings is by steaming them.
The steaming method is quite effortless and ultimately brings the dumplings to life. The only thing to do with this method is to place the frozen dumplings in a steamer and wait for them to heat up and cook properly.
The duration at which frozen dumplings should steam depends on the type of dough. If the doup is made from wheat flour, it should be left in the steamer for 8-10 minutes, and if the frozen dumplings dough is starch-based, you should steam them for 5-6 minutes.
That being said, leaving the dumpling in the steamer for too long can cause them to overcook and become too soggy. So how long the dumpling is left to steam is an essential part of reheating frozen dumplings.
How To Cook Frozen Dumpling In A Steamer
The best part of cooking frozen dumplings is actually knowing it is properly done and steaming it to perfection. If you are already quite familiar with the steps, we don’t mind taking you down the path again to reveal something new.
Here are the steps to take when steaming frozen dumplings;
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, get your steamer basket ready.
- To prevent the dumplings from getting stuck to the steamer basket, coat a thin layer of oil at the bottom of the basket or place a parchment paper.
- Arrange your frozen dumplings in a steamer basket.
- As the water begins to boil, put the steamer basket with the frozen dumplings in the pot.
- Leave the dumplings to steam for the appropriate time(for starch-based dough 5-6 minutes while wheat-based dough would require 8-10 minutes).
- Remove from the steamer once it has reached the goal time. Make sure to not leave them to steam any longer as this can cause the dumplings to get overcooked and soggy.
Alternative Methods For Reheating Frozen Dumplings?
There are two other fantastic ways to reheat or cook frozen dumplings and these includes;
1. The Pan-frying Method
Panfrying frozen dumplings will make them yummy and crispy, so if you are a crispy dumpling lover you definitely should try this method. It gives the dumplings a rich and enticing golden-brown color and a perfect crunchy feel in your mouth.
How To Pan-fry Frozen Dumplings;
- Heat up your pan (preferably a non-stick pan) on medium heat.
- Pour a little bit of oil into the pan.
- Carefully put your frozen dumplings into the pan.
- Wait for 30 seconds to ensure that the dumpling has achieved a light brown color.
- Then flip the dumplings to the other side to make sure both sides are properly pan-fried.
- Once this is complete, pour enough water into the pan and cover the lid of the pan.
- Allow the dumplings to cook until it gets that rich golden brown color and serve with any dipping sauce of your choice.
2. The Air Fryer Method
The air fryer is another amazing reheating method, you can effortlessly reheat the frozen dumpling without having to do so much. Air frying your frozen dumplings is not only convenient but also cooks the dumplings perfectly and very quickly.
How To Reheat Frozen Dumplings In The Air Fryer
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 F for a minute or two.
- Arrange your frozen dumplings in the air fryer.
- Close the air fryer and leave the dumplings to air fry for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Frozen dumplings can be cooked using the steaming method, however, how long they should be steamed depends on if the dough is wheat or starch-based.
It is best to make sure that the dumplings are oversteamed as this can make them soggy.
There are also other cooking methods you can adopt for frozen dumplings. The air fryer method is pretty quick and easy while the pan frying method gives the dumplings a fantastic golden brown look and a crispy feel in your mouth.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?